Most of a pirate’s code focuses on mutual defence and avoiding conflict through equal wealth distribution.
- Every member of the crew gets an equal share of treasure. Anyone caught taking more than his fair share of loot, or refusing to report its discovery in a timely manner, shall be marooned. The captain receives extra shares of any treasure, as do shipwrights, carpenters, and officers to lesser degrees.
- Every member of the crew must tend to his own weapons and keep them ready for battle.
- Anyone who shows cowardice in the face of the enemy or deserts in battle shall have his throat cut or be marooned.
- No crew member shall hide his abilities from the crew. A sailor who can perform magic shall use his abilities on behalf of the ship.
- No crew member shall take a position on a new ship or talk of leaving until each member of the ship’s company has acquired at least 1 000 gp worth of treasure through his labours.
- No fighting is allowed between crewmates. Quarrels shall be set aside until shore leave, at which point grievances may be settled with violence on shore.
- All crew members must obey the captain and his officers.
- Any pirate found stealing from crewmates shall take 30 lashes and be put ashore at port.
- The person who spots a sail shall have first pick of its loot.
- Any crew member who loses a limb in service to the ship shall be paid 800 gp for its loss.
- Every sailor has an equal right to vote in decisions put to the crew by the captain.